One of the more well known mass killings conducted by the Einsatzgruppen was at Babi Yar, where 100,000 people were slaughtered.
By the spring of 1943, it is estimated that the Einsatzgruppen had murdered approximately 1.25 million Jews and thousands of others.
The following pictures show the Einsatzgruppen preparing their victims and then killing them.
Victims on the Way to Their Death
Undressing and Waiting
- Jewish men are forced to dig their own graves
- A group of Soviet civilians kneeling by the side of a mass grave
- Member of Einsatzgruppe D prepares to shoot a Ukrainian Jew kneeling on the edge of a mass grave
- The execution of civilians
- A German policeman shoots individual Jewish women who remain alive in the ravine